|Color Tour #5
This is a 45 mile long tour - all on paved roads.
Begin color tour 5 at the intersection of Highways 70 and H in Radisson. The first white settlement in Sawyer County was located along the Chippewa River and was known as Wallace. When the Omaha Railroad decided to extend a branch to Park Falls, Oric Whited purchased 5,520 acres north of the Chippewa River and persuaded the railroad to change the route through his land. The village of Radisson was constructed along the railroad.
Drive north on Highway H through magnificent hardwood forests. Much of the land here is part of the Lac Court Oreilles Reservation. Several parts of this tour are underlain with Barron Quartzite. Catlinite or pipestone deposits are a feature of this quartzite. Native Americans dug up the soft pipestone and carved it into pipes and amulets that hardened with exposure to air.
At 8.3 miles north of Radisson, Highway H ends at a T intersection with Highway CC. Turn left and drive west on Highway CC. In 3.8 miles CC intersects with Highway N. Highway N continues straight however turn left (south) and continue on Highway CC. The highway jogs around Ashegon Lake in about 2 miles. At the intersection of Highway 70 and CC in Couderay, turn right (west) on Highway 70. The village of Couderay grew up around a sawmill located on Eddy Creek around 1890. Couderay means "The Lake of the Short Ears" in French.
Drive west from Couderay on Highway 70 for approximately 2.5 miles to Highway C. Turn left (south) on Highway C. Highway C crosses the Couderay River just south of the intersection with Highway 70. The Village of Lemington and the Wisconsin Central Railway are located about 2.5 miles south of 70. The Tuscobia Trail (an old railroad grade) crosses Highway C just south of Lemington. Continuing south from Lemington, Highway C crosses Highway 48. The hills to your right are the Blue Hills, a quartzite deposit that was rounded off and flattened by glacial activity.
Continue south across Highway 48 and follow Highway C south and east. For the next three miles Highway C gives a roller coaster effect over a series of hills with spectacular views to the east.
Highway C intersects with Highway 48 again in Exeland. Exeland was so named because the Arpin Lumber Company built a railway from Atlanta (North of Bruce) which was crossed by the Soo Line Railroad between 1900 and 1914. Turn right onto Highway 48 in Exeland and continue east through Exeland to the intersection of Highways 48, 40, and D.
Turn left (north) on Highway 40, which will parallel the Chippewa River. About 4.7 miles north of the Highway 48, 40, and D intersection is Belilles Falls on the Chippewa River. The village of Wallace was located in this area and was the original settlement area of Radisson. Tour 5 ends in Radisson.